Saturday, September 5, 2009

Why I Want to be a Missionary- Hillary

It was about eight months ago when my life started to really change. The truth is, the thought of being a missionary was not in my plan at all. You could say I was rather resistant to being a student missionary. My mind was set fall quarter, I was going to live my life for me. Little did I know God's plans for me were much different.

After a rough few months I realized God wouldn't leave me alone! He was very persistent with me and eventually changed my mind, heart, and plans. As I look back in the change I experienced in my life in that time, there is no way I could deny the existence of God! One of the reasons I decided I want to be an SM was because I wanted the qualities I saw in the people who lived their lives serving God everyday. Some of the qualities that really stood out to me were the following:

1. Content
2. Joyful
3. Selfless
4. Simple

That to me is a great list of qualities, and I wanted them!! So...I started to ask myself why I felt like I should be a missionary this coming school year.... it was because I wanted to change and be part of a change. I wanted those qualities and the relationship with God I had been so hungry for! When I started to finally make my hope to be a missionary into a reality I realized I didn't need to wait for some amazing experience in India to find God in a whole new way, the time was then and the time is now! So if anyone is waiting for something new to happen with your relationship with God, Don't wait!! Spice it up with God and fall in love with Him! I did, and now here I am on fire for God putting my life in His hands as he sends me off to India! In the Bible it says, "A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." (Proverbs 16:9) My heart has been changed and now I have my plans, the rest is up to the Lord! :)

2 comments:

  1. So deep and thoughtful. I know you will have an amazing time. Even though I'm going to miss you and wish you didn't go. But I highly respect your decision. :-D

    Love you!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Hillary! I'm so excited to hear about your experiences :)

    ReplyDelete