Friday, September 18, 2009

Its all in our Power. - Kati











The trip was long. The weather is extremely hot and humid. I feel like I just hopped out of the shower. People stare at me constantly. Two boys or I guess men our age asked to take a picture with us at the train station. People here do not even realize that what they are doing could be considered rude. The train ride was long, 5 hrs. Hillary and I shared one bench. My butt hung off the side when we would lay down. It was hard and uncomfortable. We smell horrible. Our house does not yet have ac. Our beds we decided to move to the floor rather than the little bunk beds. Bugs are everywhere. Hillary had a beetle crawling down her neck last night when we went to bed.

But despite all of this stuff that sounds awful, I actually loved every minute of it. The people who stare or ask for pictures just gives Hillary and I an opportunity to meet new people who are really nice. The train ride was enjoyable, watching the scenery go by and the family who sat across from us was so nice. They placed their one-year-old daughter on Hillary’s lap and we played with her most of the way. When we arrived at our train stop we were in a hurry to get off before the train started to leave. The people on the train stepped right in without even being asked to assist Hillary and I and our entire luggage off the train. Our house is perfect, and our bed is comfortable. The people are amazing! When we arrived our new friends took us to dinner. They taught us a few sayings in Telugu and taught us the head motion that they use for everything. You move your head side to side, meaning neither no or yes, but fine. Hillary and I have so many people but only can remember a few names.

The kids at the school and children’s home are all on break, so it is empty. Not much work at all for us to do. But the simplicity of us just reading and visiting is perfect. Both of us have laughed a lot at the inconveniences or language barrier. We are completely happy, content, and satisfied. No one could pay us enough money to wipe away our smiles. I think the key to us feeling this way is because we both know this is where God wants us to be. The other part to us being so happy is the fact that we are choosing to enjoy and embrace every moment.

Right now there is no other place I would rather be than sitting on the floor, drenching in sweat, in India.

2 comments:

  1. Kates! I honestly, just got shivers. I am SO excited for you my friend. You are ALREADY making memories! I can't wait to hear more. Love you miss you.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH man! I am so happy for you girlies! Your house looks REALLY pretty nice! I cannot wait to read more of your stories and to meet up and to hear from you guys! Your both so amazing and I am just so excited to see what God does in all of our lives this next year! I love you girls so much and will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete