Friday, November 6, 2009

Slow Down - Kati


Fast. Break a glass. Quick. Stub a toe. Rush. Spill juice.

Ever since I was little this how my life was lived. You could say I lived in the fast lane, no time to stop and smell the roses.
My parents always told me "SLOW DOWN!" whether I was putting dishes away or walking through our house.
I can almost always count on knocking something over when I go out to eat. It is not because I am clumsy I just want to do things efficiently and fast... even though it might cost me something being broken or myself being injured.

Miss Elisabeth is the children home mother. She is a very loving lady. She was diagnosed with polio when she was six and has a very difficult time getting around. Her steps are very small and usually include breaks when venturing any where on campus.

I have had the honor of helping her a few times get her where she needs to go. In the process of helping her we have to go REALLY slow. At first I was not very good at helping her, she would say the o so familiar words, "Slow Down."

Then one night I was walking Miss Elisabeth to a program, and I then realized the beauty in taking my time. I was able to look at the stars which I don't do all that often, but absolutely love and adore. I was able to take a deep breath in and pray for a moment.

I have realized that you can slow down and still be efficient.

My new challenge is to slow down and smell the roses, gaze at the stars, listen to a friend, pray and just simply enjoy the small things around me. Maybe in taking my time, I will save a few glasses and stubbed toes.

God has created so many extraordinary things and people around us to enjoy daily.

Why rush?

Mom and dad you are so smart! If only I had listened to you sooner.

2 comments:

  1. Moms and dads are always such smarty pants. Good blogging Katiface. And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kati, what a wonderful lesson you have learned. The joy is in the journey not in the rush to reach your destination. You have expressed this beautifully.

    ReplyDelete